[asterisk-users] Voice "broken" during calls

Luca Bertoncello lucabert at lucabert.de
Mon Jun 15 14:38:05 CDT 2020

Am 15.06.2020 um 21:24 schrieb Antony Stone:
> On Monday 15 June 2020 at 18:55:23, Luca Bertoncello wrote:
>
>> Absolutly *no changes* on the behaviour compared with my Thomsons...
>
> Okay, I'm glad we can rule out the specific make / model of phone - that would
> have been bizarre.

Yes, I really didn't believe, it could be the problem, but know is
better than believe... ;)

>> 2) Asterisk seems not to be the problem, too, since I have the same
>> behaviour if I connect to phone directly to the server of Deutsche Telekom.
>
> Is that also via the Banana, or with the phone directly on a DSL modem?

Always via the BananaPI
I cannot connect the phone directly to a DSL modem, since the phone does
not have any program to establish a PPPoE

>> 4) The problem happens *only* on active call, not by voicemail.
>
> So, only when there are two SIP clients active on each side of the Asterisk
> server...

Yes, you can say it, too... I think, this is the same with other words...

>> 4a) To test it I read a text and my partner just listen it, and then he
>> read a text and I listen it. *No* simulaneously speak!
>
> But, what were the results - each of you could hear the other perfectly well?

No! Maybe I didn't explained well...
All the tests I done with my father in law, during that we experienced
the "interruptions" were made as I described, one of us spoke, the other
counts the "interruptions".

> This sounds interesting - more ideas below.
>
>> 5) A *single call* (since I couldn't reproduce it anymore), made using
>> my Android phone as SIP-client connected to my Asterisk, had not the
>> problem. Any other try to call someone using my mobile phone via SIP had
>> the problem.
>
> You seem to have the problem in general, so a single (or small number of)
> instances of no problem doesn't mean there isn't something to be resolved.

Yes, this is a general problem, happening using the phone of my wife,
too, btw...

>> I really think, the problem should be by Deutsche Telekom...
>
> Especially since you say you do not get the problem when you have calls in via
> Messagenet for your Italian calls.

Sometimes I experienced problem with MessageNet, too, but not so
frequently as with Deutsche Telekom...

> What happens if:
>
> a) you call someone external, speak for about 30 seconds without them making
> any sound, then they start speaking *at the same time as you*, then you stop
> talking and they carry on.

Are these 30 seconds of "silence" important? If not, it happens very
frequently that both partners speak at the same time. In this case, the
quality is a little bit less than normal, but very very little!, and I
hear "interruptions" in this case, too...

> b) exactly the same, except this time they call you, so it's an inbound call.

I experienced these "interruptions" if I call even if I receive the
call, if this was your question...

> Do you get good quality while only one person speaks, and bad while both do?
> Does the quality return to good when one person stops speaking?

Actually I don't get a good quality at all, expect for some isolated
calls...

Thanks
Luca Bertoncello
(lucabert at lucabert.de)