[asterisk-users] Voice "broken" during calls

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at asterisk.open.source.it
Sat Jun 13 15:09:37 CDT 2020

On Saturday 13 June 2020 at 18:26:53, Luca Bertoncello wrote:

> Am 13.06.2020 um 18:06 schrieb Michael Keuter:
> > So the call used Alaw as Codec.
>
> Yes, so seems it to be...
> It should has the better quality... But the calls done using my mobile
> phone in VoIP with the Asterisk have better quality as the calls done
> using the normal VoIP-telefon...

You are *assuming* that it's the codec causing the difference.

We don't know that.

Let me get this clear, to make sure I understand (differences emphasised):

1. You use *a VoIP softphone app* on your mobile, which is registered by SIP,
to your Asterisk server, over your home *wireless network*, to place a call to
some external number, you have a conversation and *the quality is excellent*.

2. You use your *Thomson ST2022*, which is also registered by SIP, to your
home Asterisk server, over your home *cabled* network, to place a call to some
(the same???) external number, you have a conversation and the quality is *not
excellent*.

Is that an accurate summary of your situation?

Antony.

--
Just when you think you're done, a cat floats by with buttered toast strapped
to its back.

 - Steve Krug, "Don't make me think"

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.