[asterisk-users] 13.22.0 - HTTP session count exceeded 100 sessions - instance unusable

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at sangoma.com
Wed Jul 1 08:46:41 CDT 2020

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 10:32 AM Stefan Viljoen <viljoens at verishare.co.za>
wrote:

> Hi Joshua
>
> HTTP is used on in our setup on
>
> 127.0.0.1/mxml?<command>
>
> to send commands to the server, such as
>
> http://127.0.0.1/mxml?action=login&username=myuser&secret=thesecret
>
> to log in and then
>

> http://127.0.0.1/mxml?ActionID=123&Action=BlindTransfer&Channel=Channel&Context=local&Exten=123&Priority=1
>
> etc. to control transfers, for example.
>
> ARI is not being used.
>
> WebRTC is not being used.
>
> I have in the meantime modified httpd.conf and halved the
> session_inactivity from 30 000 to 20 000 and session_keep_alive from 15 000
> to 10 000, and increased the sessionlimit to 1000 (instead of 100) to see
> if shorter sessions expiring more frequently and just plain more available
> slots for sessions will help?
>
> So far so good, done about 55 000 new calls that way the past 32 minutes.
>
> Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

It's possible it will help - but that still doesn't explain what exactly
happened. Does your code have a back off strategy if HTTP requests fail? If
not and they have an immediate retry with loop, then that may have
effectively DDoSed things. It would also be good to explain why 100
connections were in use - did old connections not get closed? Was your load
sufficient to just meet that amount?

--
Joshua C. Colp
Asterisk Technical Lead