[asterisk-users] how to make asterisk set cos values

hw hw at gc-24.de
Fri Jan 31 06:37:49 CST 2020

On Friday, January 31, 2020 12:45:40 PM CET Joshua C. Colp wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 7:34 AM hw <hw at gc-24.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > examining the network traffic with wireshark shows that asterisk does not
> > set
> > any QoS values at all.
> >
> > What do I need to do to make asterisk set QoS values (on Centos 7)?
> >
> > The wiki says to use vconfig to set QoS values[1].  What does the
> > skb-priority
> > need to be set to?  How do you use vconfig on interfaces that are not VLAN
> > interfaces?
> >
> > Is it generally impossible to set QoS values on bonding interfaces?
> >

> > [1]: https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/IP+Quality+of+Service
>
> Further down that page it talks about the options for both chan_sip and
> chan_pjsip for setting TOS and CoS values. It can be done in configuration.

Well, yes, I have set these options.  I am under the impression that asterisk
is using default values when these options are not set, but the wiki doesn't
say.  Do I need to create a VLAN interface?

I have also installed libcap and recompiled, and I don't know how to tell if
it's actually used or not.  I tried with selinux set to permissive to no
avail.  I could run asterisk as root and see if the values get set, but that
might change ownership on files asterisk creates and could cause trouble
later.

Asterisk even says on the console "  == Using SIP RTP Audio CoS mark 5".  I
can see that packets from phones are marked and the ones from asterisk are
not.

[xxx]
type = wizard
accepts_auth = yes
accepts_registrations = yes
endpoint/cos_audio = 5
endpoint/cos_video = 4
[...]

[transport-tls]
type=transport
protocol=tls
bind=0.0.0.0:5061
cos=3
[...]

I never checked this, and now it's time that I want to know for sure and set
it up like it's supposed to be.  It's silly to have traffic control in place
when the packets are not marked so it doesn't work to begin with.