[asterisk-users] delivery verification of instant messages with pjsip

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at sangoma.com
Thu Jan 30 07:38:31 CST 2020

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 9:35 AM hw <hw at gc-24.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> when sending IMs from endpoint to endpoint with the MessageSend()
> application,
> I can check the MESSAGE_SEND_STATUS and send another message to the sender
> of
> the message to notify them that their message was not sent when the status
> indicates it.
>
> This works fine with chan_sip.  With chan_pjsip, this works differently in
> that MESSAGE_SEND_STATUS is "SUCCESS" after sending the message, and only
> later asterisk figures out that it is "Unable to retrieve contact for
> endpoint
> <xxx>" when there are no contacts and thus the message never gets
> delivered.
>
> How can I check if the endpoint has contacts --- or preferably --- if the
> message was actually delivered to an endpoint?  It would be sufficient to
> get
> it to work with endpoints that are not supposed to have more than one
> contact.

Making MESSAGE_SEND_STATUS reflect whether the message was sent or not for
PJSIP was merged in 2 days ago[1]. It will be in a future release. If you
don't want to wait you could use device state to know if the device is
reachable (and thus a MESSAGE has a chance of being sent) using the
DEVICE_STATE dialplan function[2].

[1] https://gerrit.asterisk.org/c/asterisk/+/13674
[2]
https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+17+Function_DEVICE_STATE