[asterisk-users] SRTP unprotect failed ...

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at sangoma.com
Thu Jan 16 09:44:23 CST 2020

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 11:35 AM hw <hw at gc-24.de> wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 14, 2020 5:29:04 PM CET hw wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm getting messages like
> >

> > res_srtp.c:395 ast_srtp_unprotect: SRTP unprotect failed with replay
> check
> > failed (index too old), retrying == SRTP unprotect failed on SSRC
> 576693764
> > because of authentication failure 10 == SRTP unprotect failed on SSRC
> > 576693764 because of authentication failure 160 [...]
> >

> > ... after a couple minutes during voice calls after which the connection
> is
> > being aborted.  It seems that not all connections are affected but only a
> > few, though that would need further verification.
> >
> > Is this a bug, or due to a bad internet connection (maybe packet loss?)?
> > Can I do something to look into this?
> >
> > asterisk -V
> > Asterisk 16.4.0
>
> I've upgraded asterisk to version 17 from git, and the problem remains.

What is the remote endpoint?

The message itself is occurring because we are receiving encrypted traffic
and failing to decrypt. I've seen this in recent times but it's been
because of the remote endpoint and not Asterisk itself. Since it's
encrypted and visibility into things isn't great, it's hard to point to
precisely what is going on though.

--
Joshua C. Colp
Asterisk Technical Lead