[asterisk-users] Playing MP3's in Asterisk

Jonathan H lardconcepts at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 03:33:01 CST 2020

Hi all,

Returning to the issue of mp3 support in Asterisk, it seems it is using a
build from 1997?!
http://svn.digium.com/svn/thirdparty/mp3/trunk/layer3.c

I have the same problems as everyone with the mp3 add-on, but now a new one:

   - "mp3/interface.c: Junk at the beginning of frame 49443304" for ALL mp3
   files, even when debug/verbose is off.
   - Very quiet playback compared to slin, so I have to control the
   outgoing volume by +7 for mp3 playback.
   - Now I find it chokes on mp3s which have a png cover art - this is
   perfectly valid in mp3 id3

But I still need to use ControlPlayback from dialplan and f-agi.

I started going down a rabbit-hole of ARI media and Audiosocket etc, for
example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjduXbZZEgI
https://github.com/CyCoreSystems/audiosocket

These all seem to add a fair amount of complexity for controlling playback
- for example:
https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/ARI+and+Media%3A+Part+2+-+Playbacks#ARIandMedia:Part2-Playbacks-Controllingplaybacks
And I need to know the current cplaybackoffset at any given time.

I was thinking: to keep it simple, is there a way to tell Asterisk to use a
different mpg123 (the system one - my currently installed version from
2020!) instead of the Asterisk build?

I can live with the "junk" warnings and the quiet playback, but it cannot
be crashing on valid id3 content (and I have no control over the remotely
hosting files).

Thanks for any pointers in the right direction!