[asterisk-users] Asterisk registrations - state?

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at asterisk.open.source.it
Tue Dec 15 15:57:33 CST 2020

On Tuesday 15 December 2020 at 22:35:07, Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:

> On 12/15/20 3:19 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
> >> There is no functionality present to have Asterisk SUBSCRIBE to upstream
> >> servers, receive updates, and locally use them.
> >
> > Hm, thanks for the clarification, this confirms what I suspected.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest an alternative application I could sensibly use
> > alongside Asterisk in a production environment to achieve this (I'm
> > specifically looking for a way to maintain presence information for a
> > Busy Lamp Field, and to get notifications about Voicemail events).
> >
> > I'm aware of both SIPp https://github.com/SIPp/sipp and SipSak
> > https://github.com/nils-ohlmeier/sipsak, however these are (to me at
> > least) testing scenario tools designed for "short term" use to place and
> > receive calls, rather than maintaining long-term subscriptions to SIP
> > accounts, waiting for notifications of events, so I'm somewhat wary
> > about considering them for use in a production environment (by which I
> > mean I'm looking for something which can subscribe to a few tens of SIP
> > accounts (across several servers) and get the event notifications for
> > those accounts, over a period of days and weeks, and pass them to my
> > display application in almost any reasonable form).
> >

> > Any ideas out there?
>
> It sounds to me like you just need a reasonable SIP softphone that can
> register with multiple SIP accounts (they all do) and show presence for
> the extension registered (I think most want you to pay for this feature
> versus the freebie client).
>
> Why run asterisk?
>
> Am I missing something?

Oh, certainly - there's a whole load I didn't mention in my description :)

I'm using Asterisk to place and receive calls through the external PBX systems
- it's registered as a SIP client, and essentially behaves as a soft phone as
far as the external PBXs are concerned.

Alongside placing and receiving calls, though, I need the presence and
voicemail information, therefore I'm looking for a reasonable way to combine
that with Asterisk which handles the calls themselves perfectly fine.

And, before anyone suggests it, no, I can't simply replace Asterisk with an
actual softphone application, because there's a very complicated dialplan
behind all this, including directing calls up SIP trunks quite separately from
the SIP registrations to the PBXs.

Thanks,

Antony.

--
BASIC is to computer languages what Roman numerals are to arithmetic.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.