[asterisk-users] Higher cores vs higher clock speed

C.Maj chris at PenguinPBX.com
Thu Dec 10 13:49:55 CST 2020

On 2020-12-09 12:54, Dovid Bender wrote:
> For older versions of Astrerisk (1.8, 11, 13) what is everyones
> experience when it comes to core count vs higher speed cpu's? We seem to be
> hitting some cpu issues. In the past we went for more cores but now I
> wonder if we should go with fewer cores and higher clocked CPU's.

IME, running older Asterisk versions seemed to benefit significantly from faster clocks,
particularly if you were dealing with physical DAHDI hardware. Disabling hyper-threading
can also bring some benefit. Exceptions include when compiling with "make -jX" where X
equals number of CPU cores, as well as when you are running other processes on the box,
or if your system is never transcoding and always allowing direct media between SIP endpoints.

Regards,

--
🤠 C. Maj, Technology Captain @ Penguin PBX Solutions
📞 USA Toll Free 1-833-PNGNPBX (1-833-764-6729)