[asterisk-users] which linux for asterisk?

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at asterisk.open.source.it
Wed Dec 9 07:23:58 CST 2020

On Wednesday 09 December 2020 at 13:52:24, Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:

> This machine I visited yesterday in our data center... it is running
> Ubuntu 14... I would say this is a pretty stable platform :)

Let's just say that there can be a big difference between "stable" and "secure"
as well as between "stable" and "supported".

On Wednesday 09 December 2020 at 14:17:17, Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:

> Ya, I wouldn't say this is our normal behaviour - to complete ignore a
> running production system for four years, but if it ain't broke...

I think you have the wrong definition of "broke/n".  It may continue to be
running the same way as it has for years, but during that time people have
discovered ways in which the software on that machine turns out to be broken
(which they didn't know at the time you installed it).

Therefore your machine is in fact "broke/n"; it's a state it's got into
gradually over a period of time as people have found more and more bugs &
vulnerabilities in its code.

Antony.

--
"Life is just a lot better if you feel you're having 10 [small] wins a day
rather than a [big] win every 10 years or so."

 - Chris Hadfield, former skiing (and ski racing) instructor

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.