[asterisk-users] PJSIP trunk is down when DNS was not available during the Asterisk start.

Leonid Fainshtein leonid.fainshtein at xorcom.com
Thu Aug 27 05:47:55 CDT 2020

Hi,
I have Asterisk 16.x with a trunk configured with a hostname in PJSIP AOR.
The registration is not required for this trunk.
I paid attention that Asterisk performs DNS resolving of the hostname that
is configured in the AOR 'contact' parameter only upon the Asterisk start
only.
Thus, if Asterisk is started when the DNS server is unreachable due to the
Internet connection failure then the 'contact' will be not resolvable
forever even when the Internet connection is returned. As a result of that,
the 'qualify' procedure is not performed and the trunk status is 'Unavail'.
The only way to revive the trunk is to restart Asterisk. Even 'pjsip
reload' doesn't solve the problem.
Is it the 'by design' Asterisk behavior or I have missed something?

Thank you.