[asterisk-users] max_pseudo_channels

Shaun Ruffell sruffell at sruffell.net
Mon Apr 27 08:38:44 CDT 2020

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 11:21:24AM -0400, Dovid Bender wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1) Is there any reason why max_pseudo_channels defaults to 512? I want to
> increase it by default but at the same time don't want to outsmart the
> developers if they had a good reason for it.

The limit is set to 512 in order to prevent a non-priveleged user from launching
a denial of service attack on the local machine.

See https://github.com/asterisk/dahdi-linux/commit/e5cbedbf37edf2a2350ec77d87f4866f05a2a4ff

> 2) I had a look at
> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2014-March/282607.html but
> that did not seem to work. Does anyone have tips on how to make it
> persistent on reboots?

What specifically did not work?

Depending on your distribution, you will want to add options for the dahdi
module on load to the /etc/modprobe.d/ directory to make the settings
persistent. When the mailing list post you linked was first written, there was
only a single /etc/modules.conf file. That single file has been split up into
multiple files in /etc/modprobe.d now.

I hope this helps,
Shaun