[asterisk-users] Avoid transcoding if both ends support same coded

Benoit Panizzon benoit.panizzon at imp.ch
Tue Nov 26 10:10:26 CST 2019

Hi Gang

I offer:

g722
g711a

g711a is mandatory. g722 is becoming more and more popular.

Now if a call originates from a device which support g722 and ends on a
device which does not. I see that asterisk is transcoding between g722
and g711a despite both ends supporting g711a.

Google tells me, that in this scenario asterisk should have selected
g711a as this is the codec common for both sides.

So why is my asterisk instance choosing to transcode instead of trying
to natively and even remotely bridge the calls?

I have nothing in the dial plan which would force asterisk to listen to
the audio and I have set direct_media=yes on both endpoints.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

-Benoît Panizzon-
--
I m p r o W a r e   A G    -    Leiter Commerce Kunden