[asterisk-users] pjsip: don't require authentication from remote i register to

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Mar 1 14:50:47 CST 2019

On Fri, 2019-03-01 at 15:41 -0500, Joshua C. Colp wrote:

> I don't understand what you mean. Your ITSP has stated that they
> don't want you to do authentication with them, so you can't.

They are implying, as I am understanding them, that somehow SIP packets
they send me shouldn't need to be authenticated because they are
associated (i.e. "identify"ed in pjsip nomenclature) with my
registration to them.  It all sounds suspect to me but that's what I am
understanding them to be saying.

Ultimately, if I have this endpoint and it's unauthenticated, does it
create a security risk?

I suppose anyone could forge a UDP packet as coming from their IP
address, and as it's "identify"ed by IP on my side and I would accept
it without authentication being necessary.

But then I suppose they are only getting access to being able to
connect into an incoming dialplan context, so ringing extensions here,
but not being able to launch in and outbound (money costing) phone
call, at least without there being dialplan support to make outgoing
calls when calling in (i.e. like a calling card application or
somesuch, which should have it's own authentication anyway).

> If you are referring to the template - it's a template so by itself
> does not create an endpoint.

Yes, completely understood.

b.