[asterisk-users] Various extensions ring once and go to voicemail

Stefan Viljoen viljoens at verishare.co.za
Tue Jan 15 10:46:23 CST 2019

Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Various extensions ring once and go	 to
	voicemail - Thomas Peters

>Carlos and Stefan (and other who have helped):

>I DON'T HAVE the res_timing_timerfd.so file. Can I build it? Recompiling Asterisk is unrealistic in my position but I wonder if I can build the one module. Here's what I do have:

>apbx:~ $ locate *res_timing_timerfd*
>/usr/src/asterisk-1.8.23.1/res/.res_timing_timerfd.makeopts
>/usr/src/asterisk-1.8.23.1/res/.res_timing_timerfd.moduleinfo
>/usr/src/asterisk-1.8.23.1/res/res_timing_timerfd.c
>/usr/src/asterisk-1.8.7.0/res/.res_timing_timerfd.makeopts
>/usr/src/asterisk-1.8.7.0/res/.res_timing_timerfd.moduleinfo
>/usr/src/asterisk-1.8.7.0/res/res_timing_timerfd.c

>Why I have 1.8.23 and 1.8.7 I don't know. Asterisk on this system is version 1.8.7.0.

Ouch. Sounds like you're maybe sitting with a hybrid package install setup and a partial source based install - did you setup this box yourself?

It appears that the binaries of asterisk were compiled, then the source was deleted or the binaries that comprise your instance were installed from a package...

You can probably build only timerfd, but it does imply running menuconfig (I think) and for that you need a properly configured Asterisk source tree, of the correct version you want.

>NEXT QUESTION: There are NO timing modules listed in /etc/asterisk/modules.conf at all. The only ones that are explicitly loaded are format_wav format_pcm format_mp3 and res_musiconhold. And there are "preload" directives for pbx_config.so and chan_local.so.

>Is res_timing_dahdi.so getting loaded somewhere else? Or is it a default of some kind?

AFAIK it is a default, but as default, again AFAIK, res_timing_dahdi.so won't get loaded, the pthread timer or timerfd will be used. Since you don't even have the timerfd module, you are running by implication on timerfd.

>SYSTEM TIME OF DAY CLOCK which someone asked about, seems accurate. I did
>watch -n1 date
>and watched the time tick up, perfectly synchronized to my mobile phone. It might be off by a second or so, I'd have a hard time knowing for sure. NTPD is running, but not working for some reason. I fixed it (ownership of ntp.conf wrong) so now ntpq -pn returns a server ID.

Ok... well scratch that theory then.

As I said earlier, we have had very strange misbehaviour with Asterisk in virtually hosted environments, and after bitter experience resolved to run it only in real physical boxes as it seems to perform best there and be the most stable and reliable.

All I might suggest is getting the latest asterisk source in the 1.8 series (1.8.32.2 if I'm not mistaken - we ran it for years) and compile it from scratch. But do not install it, e. g. if you do make install it will overwrite your current setup irretrivably.

Rather, compile it, and then make actual physical copies of your current asterisk binary (/usr/sbin/asterisk, I think) and of your /usr/lib/asterisk/modules folder, -then- make install it. Start it up and see if it works better. If it is a success, great. If not, simply copy back your copied asterisk binary and copy back all the files in /usr/lib/asterisk/modules, and restart your old version which at least is working partially.

Again, no guarantees, the fact that you apparently already have a disjointed setup (at least three asterisk versions?) might mitigate against this - your milage may vary and doing what I describe might also destroy your entire current setup.

The reader must beware. It sounds as if you will need to recompile Asterisk from a known clean source to begin troubleshooting it anyway?

Kind regards,

Stefan