[asterisk-users] h265 codec pass through on asterisk

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at digium.com
Thu Aug 22 04:54:16 CDT 2019

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019, at 1:00 AM, mrcasa bengaluru wrote:

> All,
>
> I'm using asterisk 16.4.0 with h264 and opus quite well using linphone
> 4.1 client on android and baresip on linux.
>
> I'm exploring use of h265 for improved video quality/lower network
> bandwidth. I do not see pass through support on asterisk for h265/hvec.
> All my SIP clients and underlying hardware have hvec/h265 encoding and
> decoding available.
>
> I would have liked vp9 however, vp9 encoding in hardware is not widespread.
>
> Is there any reason for not enabling support for h265 pass through?

The only real reason is that noone has added support for it. Asterisk has to be made aware of it in a few places in order to allow it. I did it for VP9[1] so that could be used as a base.

[1] https://gerrit.asterisk.org/c/asterisk/+/6079

--
Joshua C. Colp
Digium - A Sangoma Company | Senior Software Developer