[asterisk-users] Amazon AWS question

Dan Cropp dan at amtelco.com
Wed Aug 21 11:23:45 CDT 2019

We are running load capacity tests using Amazon AWS configurations.

For the tests, we are basically scaling up calls to a second Asterisk box.  First box that is calling the second box plays music on hold for 60 seconds, then hangs up the call.
My initial thought was jitter problems, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I believe I found the cause while looking at the asterisk logs.  I am finding hundreds of entries like this when they report audio problems.

[08/19 15:04:17.176] DEBUG[4062][C-00000076] res_timing_timerfd.c: Expected to acknowledge 1 ticks but got 4 instead
[08/19 15:04:17.173] DEBUG[4008][C-0000005b] res_timing_timerfd.c: Expected to acknowledge 1 ticks but got 3 instead
[08/19 15:04:17.180] DEBUG[4008][C-0000005b] res_timing_timerfd.c: Expected to acknowledge 1 ticks but got 2 instead
[08/19 15:04:17.174] DEBUG[3933][C-00000038] res_timing_timerfd.c: Expected to acknowledge 1 ticks but got 2 instead

I see references where people say to make sure to set VMWare ESXi Latency Sensitivity to high for issues like this.

However, I am told there is no such setting with Amazon AWS.  It sounds like the settings are all based on the type of configuration you buy.

Does anyone have any experience running Asterisk on an Amazon AWS system?
If so, what type of Amazon AWS configuration are you using?
If you have the potential to be playing prompts and/or music on hold for all channels at once, what is you channel capacity?

Is it recommended to run on dedicated hardware when encountering issues like this?

Have a great day!
Dan