[asterisk-users] Message: Authentication failed on manager interface

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Apr 4 07:28:15 CDT 2019

I'm not sure how much more simple I can make this but I just cannot
seem to get my Asterisk 13 to accept a connection on the manager
interface:

--- manager.conf ---
[general]
enabled = yes

port = 5038
bindaddr = 127.0.0.1

[myasterisk]
secret=a
permit=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0

read = all
write = all

So, couldn't be any more wide open and simpler to connect yet:

# echo -e "Action: Login\r\nUsername: myasterisk\r\nPassword: a\r\n\r\n" | ncat 127.0.0.1 5038
Asterisk Call Manager/2.10.4
Response: Error
Message: Authentication failed

Even more basically if you like:

# telnet 127.0.0.1 5038
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to 127.0.0.1.
Escape character is '^]'.
Asterisk Call Manager/2.10.4
Action: Login
Username: myasterisk
Password: a

Response: Error
Message: Authentication failed

Connection closed by foreign host.

I have restarted asterisk after editing manager.conf, even though a
manager reload should be all that's needed.

server*CLI> manager show user myasterisk

          username: myasterisk
            secret: <Set>
               ACL: yes
         read perm: system,call,log,verbose,command,agent,user,config,dtmf,reporting,cdr,dialplan,originate,agi,cc,aoc,test,security,message,all
        write perm: system,call,log,verbose,command,agent,user,config,dtmf,reporting,cdr,dialplan,originate,agi,cc,aoc,test,security,message,all
   displayconnects: yes
allowmultiplelogin: yes
         Variables:

I know this is going to be a "head smack" problem, but seriously.  What
am I missing?

Cheers,
b.