[asterisk-users] WebRTC as Softphone substitute ?

Matthew Fredrickson matt at fredricknet.net
Wed Sep 26 10:20:55 CDT 2018

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 9:40 AM Carlos Chavez <cursor at telecomab.mx> wrote:

> On 9/26/2018 4:46 AM, Olivier wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > This morning, I asked myself if WebRTC could be a viable alternative
> > to softphone deployment.
> >
> > For me, main issue with Softphones is the amount of work needed for
> > installation and configuration.
> > Also, Softphones must be carefully choosen if Deskphone-like quality
> > is expected.
> >
> > Now that WebRTC becomes ubiquitous, it might make sense to trade
> > Softphone features (call history, BLF, ...) for WebRTC deployment
> > simplicity.
> >
> > What do you think of this ?
> > What kind of experience did you met with such WebRTC deployments ?
> > What about classic telephony features (CallTransfer) ?
> > Have you tried Cyber Maga Phone 2K ?
> >

>      If you can get it to work WebRTC is a good option.  The problem is
> that any changes in your network may disrupt it and even trying to
> replicate your installation is difficult.  I have it working fine on my
> website so customers can call us directly from our web page but I never
> could get Cyber Mega Phone 2K to work on the same server.  We used JSSIP
> to create the webrtc phone on our website.

We just updated the documentation for how to get CMP2K working on the
wiki [1].  We'd love some feedback if you still have issues getting it
setup so that we can improve the docs.

[1] https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Installing+and+Configuring+CyberMegaPhone

Best wishes,
Matthew Fredrickson