[asterisk-users] SIP Codec negotiation

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Fri May 11 08:07:28 CDT 2018

On Fri, 11 May 2018, Daniel Tryba wrote:

> AFAIK this is undetermined. The callee can send either ulaw or gsm,
> unless the caller wants to narrow it down to 1 codec, see
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4317#section-2.2
>
> Most of the time the callee will pick the first (so in this case ulaw).
> But there are media gateways out there that choose g711[au] above "more
> complex" codecs regardless order in SDP. My prefer PSTN provider will
> always prefer alaw if offered since that will prevent transcoding on
> their side if the call goes to ISDN/POTS, but AMR if the call goes to
> VoLTE.

So, without examining the RTP, you cannot tell which codec was actually
used?

In the above example, even though the INVITE/SDP says they prefer gsm over
ulaw and the OK/SDP says I prefer ulaw over gsm, they can choose to use
gsm or ulaw?

Can it be asymmetrical? They send gsm and I send ulaw?

--
Thanks in advance,