[asterisk-users] DIALSTATUS vs HANGUPCAUSE

Patrick Wakano pwakano at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 21:11:21 CDT 2018

Hello list,
Hope all doing well!

I've been checking some cases when a Dial fails and dialplan execution
continues to handle this. I am finding it a little confusing how we should
handle the DIALSTATUS and the HANGUPCAUSE in this situation....
More specifically, I am facing a case in version 13.6.0 where I am getting
a DIALSTATUS=BUSY and HANGUPCAUSE=19 after receiving a 480 SIP error. Seems
wrong to me, since 480 should be converted to HANGUPCAUSE=19 and DIALSTATUS
= NOANSWER (https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Hangup+Cause+Mappings).
Anyway I am thinking about actually not checking the DIALSTATUS anymore and
just rely on the HANGUPCAUSE, which seems more powerful.
Looks like for a pure SIP environment the HANGUPCAUSE would have a more
accurate information about the error. So question is can I always use this
info and completely ignore what the DIALSTATUS is?
Or does someone knows exactly where is more suitable to use one over the
other?

Thanks,
Kind regards,
Patrick Wakano