[asterisk-users] [OT] Load testing with SIPp

Olivier oza.4h07 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 19:47:52 CST 2018

All mentioned boxes are VMWare VMs probably configured with default drivers
and settings.
Unfortunately, I don't know which network equipements are used when those
boxes communicate with each other.
So yes, maybe I banged into an unexpected limit because of this ignorance.

Anyway, from my testing, I was mostly surprised  by 2 things:

1- I consistently hit a 200 calls when I let run an Asterisk instance on
the SIPp (calls passing locally from SIPp to a first Asterisk instance
before hitting SUT): I thought that communications inside a given VM was
"unlimited and cheap" and I was apparently wrong,
Disabling Asterisk in my first VM allowed me to hit a 500 limit at the
price of loosing Asterisk flexibility to log RTCP stats, select exotic
codec and so on.

2- Increasing asterisk.conf's maxfiles value (from 10000 to 40000, for
instance), allowed me to get more than 695 successfull call out of 700 but
I could succeed to get, even once, 700 successfull calls, even when I tried
with my current 400000 maxfiles limit.