[asterisk-users] Best way to update ever changing dialplans

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Mon Jun 25 14:50:23 CDT 2018

On Mon, 25 Jun 2018, Dovid Bender wrote:

> I am working on a system where I connect to an external API and based on
> what it gives me I generate the Asterisk dial plan accordingly. I am
> thinking about my different options and wanted feedback from others on
> how to best do it.1) Generate conf files for Asterisk - This seems the
> easiest but then I will be doing a dial plan reload on all of my dial
> plan for handful of lines of code. The plus side is once reload is don
> the dial plan is in memory.

> 2) Using real time + mysql - Seems like an overkill to have mysql
> running taking resources for a few lines.

> 3) Using real time + sqlite3 - This seems like the best option but then
> we go to disk every time there is a call.

> Any other options that I am not thinking of?

I think that you have enumerated the reasonable options. I'd vote for #1.

1) Easier to implement and debug.

2) Easier to 'snapshot' for backup and restore.

Other factors that may bias my choice would be the size of the dialplan
and the frequency of the updates.

Maybe another option would be to use the CLI 'dialplan add' and 'dialplan
remove' commands.

--
Thanks in advance,