[asterisk-users] 400 reply to INVITE not properly treated

Patrick Wakano pwakano at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 23:40:48 CDT 2018

Hello list,
Hope you all doing fine!!

I am using chan_sip of Asterisk 13.6.0 and eventually I have a carrier
which replies with 400 to some INVITES which happen to timeout....
I know the SIP reply code is not correct, but anyway I want to understand
what is happening, because I think it is a bug....
In this situation, Asterisk is not failing the Dial, but sends back an ACK.
Given the carrier has previously sent a 180, Asterisk just lets the user
ringing forever.... Because the Dial() doesn't fail in this case, the user
must hangup to terminate the call....
So question is, is this a known behaviour? I could not find anything
related....
In my opinion, Asterisk should at fail the Dial and proceed with whatever
was configured in the dialplan.... I tried some other 4XX SIP codes, but
the only one I found not behaving properly is the 400 one....

Thanks,
Kind regards,
Patrick Wakano