[asterisk-users] DTMF tones in MixMonitor recording

Patrick Wakano pwakano at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 21:23:45 CDT 2018

Hello list,
Hope you are all doing fine!

I have stumbled over some piece of dialplan code in which apparently they
were trying to avoid recording the DTMF tones in the wav file. It is really
messy and I am not sure if this really works. So after a bit of research I
found this comment (
https://community.asterisk.org/t/asterisk-dtmf-record/65040) in which it is
said:

*"Asterisk strips the DTMF from the audio stream when configured for
inband, so internal stuff can react to the DTMF and so the other side does
not hear the tone unless they are using inband (in which case it is
regenerated)"*
So my questions are, what are the cases in which Asterisk regenerates the
DTMFs? Does it cause the recording to have the tone as well, or is it only
transmitted to the other leg without being generated to the recording file?
Also, what if one or both legs are RFC2833? From my tests the RFC2833
events never show up in the recording, but I just want to confirm that this
is always true.

Thanks,
Kind regards,
Patrick Wakano