[asterisk-users] VMWare guest crash with ^@ character in logs. Where to look at to find root cause ?

Olivier oza.4h07 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 05:18:45 CDT 2018

Hello,

Today, one Asterisk instance of mine crashed.
This instance is only providing SIP trunking (from IPBXs to carriers, no
transcoding, playing of voice prompts and fancy dialplan tricks, ....).

The instance is built :
- as a VMWare 6.5 guest,
- with Debian Stretch (9)
- and asterisk 13.20.0 built from source with DONT_OPTIMIZE,
BETTER_BACKTRACES options

At the time the machine crashed, I can see a long list of null characters
(represented as ^@, if I'm not mistaken) in various log files
(/var/log/syslog, /var/log/daemon.log, /var/log/asterisk/full) but not in
/var/log/kern.log.

When the machine crashed, it was not even responding to SSH queries and did
not produce any core file.

I would like to find the root cause of the issue.

My reasonning is :
- as Null character is present in /var/log/asterisk/full, then necessarily,
this output comes from Asterisk application so Asterisk is on the "cause
path"
- Asterisk may or may not be the root cause the issue.

What would you suggest me to investigate ?
What should I infer from coredump absence ?

Cheers