[asterisk-users] Audio Dropouts During Call

Brent Davidson brent at texascountrytitle.com
Tue Apr 3 11:27:52 CDT 2018

Well, I now have another office complaining of the audio drop-outs. Logs
are showing the same issues.  RTP just stops for awhile then resumes.

At the original problem office, I replaced all the network cables,
replaced two network hubs, and made sure the phones are all connected
correctly.  The problem still exists.

One thing I did notice during testing is that the audio is perfectly
fine as long as there is no internet traffic, but once there is internet
traffic, the audio quality drops drastically, then cuts out completely.
Once the internet traffic stops, there is about a 2 second lag, then the
audio resumes.

I find that incredibly odd as we don't use VOIP outside lines, and none
of the voice traffic should be passing through our firewall, router, or
DSL modem.

Internal network traffic, such as moving a file between shared folders
on 2 computers on the internal office network does not impact the audio
at all.  However, if I try to send a file across the VPN, refresh a web
page in the browser, or run a bandwidth test from either computer, the
audio goes glitchy then drops out until the traffic returns to normal.

Attached is a network diagram to show how both offices are set up. There
shouldn't be any reason for traffic that goes straight to the internet
to affect the internal VOIP traffic.  The Asterisk server only runs
Asterisk, Hylafax, and a Samba share for the workgroup copier/scanner to
save scanned files to.  It isn't doing DNS, or anything that would tax
it's resources.  The servers both have quad-core CPUs and 16 GB of ram.

I've tried switching codes between ulaw, alaw, and g.729 and the problem
persists at both offices.

Any ideas?

On 3/26/2018 10:30 AM, Bertrand LUPART - Linkeo.com wrote:
> Hello,
>

>> Only one of the servers has the drop-out issues.  This location has a
>> network switch on the main desk due to wiring limitations, but several
>> of the other non-problematic offices do as well.
>
> I run some offices with similar asterisk configurations, only one
> experiencing drop-out calls as well.
>
> Just visited the impacted office today, discovering their phones are
> daisy-chained. Still investigating, but i'm pretty confident correctly
> wiring them on a decent switch will correct the issue.
>
> Also double-check the phone are correctly wired (LAN on LAN port and
> not on computer port)
>
> OTOH
>
> --
> Bertrand LUPART

---
http://www.avg.com

WARNING-FRAUDULENT FUNDING INSTRUCTIONS

Email hacking and fraud are on the rise to fraudulently misdirect funds. Please call your escrow officer immediately using contract information found from an independent source, such as the sales contract or internet, to verify any funding instructions received. We are not responsible for any wires sent by you to an incorrect bank account.