[asterisk-users] Interpreting pjsip.conf

Richard Mudgett rmudgett at digium.com
Sun Sep 17 08:34:08 CDT 2017

On Sat, Sep 16, 2017 at 7:03 PM, Michelle Dupuis <mdupuis at ocg.ca> wrote:

> I am looking at the pjsip.conf file shipped with asterisk, and trying to
> understand it.  For example, there are 3 transport-X sections as noted
> below.  Does this mean I could uncomment all 3?  Must I uncomment 1?  Is
> the -X portion of [transport-X] arbitrary?
>

> ; Basic UDP transport
> ;
> ;[transport-udp]
> ;type=transport
> ;protocol=udp    ;udp,tcp,tls,ws,wss
> ;bind=0.0.0.0
>
> ; UDP transport behind NAT
> ;
> ;[transport-udp-nat]
> ;type=transport
> ;protocol=udp
> ;bind=0.0.0.0
> ;localnet=192.0.2.0/24
> ;external_media_address=203.0.113.1
> ;external_signaling_address=203.0.113.1
>
> ; Basic IPv6 UDP transport
> ;
> ;[transport-udp-ipv6]
> ;type=transport
> ;protocol=udp
> ;bind=::

The sample pjsip.conf file provides samples and minimal option
descriptions.  For more documentation on pjsip please see the wiki [1].  A
fictitious example company [2] is documented showing how that company could
setup Asterisk.

As to your questions:
* You need to have at least one transport section to tell pjsip how to send
and receive SIP messages.  The provided samples may or may not apply to
your particular network.
* The name of a transport section is completely arbitrary.  What makes it a
transport section is the "type=transport" line.

[1] https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Configuring+res_pjsip
[2] https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Super+Awesome+Company

Richard