[asterisk-users] Measuring total end-to-end latency

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at asterisk.open.source.it
Tue Oct 31 05:53:35 CDT 2017

Hi.

Does anyone have some recommendations for measuring total end-to-end latency
(by which I mean: the time between person A saying something and person B
hearing it) when there are both SIP and PSTN/analogue/mobile legs in the call
path?

Examples:

Person A has a SIP phone registered to Asterisk, which has a SIP trunk to a
connectivity provider, who has connections to PSTN (analogue landline)
connectivity providers and to mobile network (Vodafone, Orange, etc)
providers.

Person B might answer the call on an analogue landline telephone.

Person C might answer the call on a mobile phone (perhaps on its home network,
perhaps roaming on a foreign network).

Is there any way to measure total latency of calls between A and B or A and C?

Thanks in advance for any ideas / suggestions.

Antony.

--
"Remember: the S in IoT stands for Security."

 - Jan-Piet Mens

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.