[asterisk-users] PJSIP, NAT and STUN/ICE

John Kiniston johnkiniston at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 17:07:46 CDT 2017

Well, I can answer one of your questions.

To see the current external_media_address and external_signalling_address
from the CLI you can issue a 'pjsip show transport <transport-name>'

Your router could have a built in sip helper that is rewriting the contact
for your packets.

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 2:56 PM, O. Hartmann <ohartmann at walstatt.org> wrote:

> I'm quite new to Asterisk and using Asterisk 13 on FreeBSD current.
> Asterisk is behind a
> NAT router, the physical setup is very much a trivial one. The Asterisk
> PBX is supposed
> to act as the telephone gateway for several VoIP/SIP phones.
>
> I'm using throughout pjsip as configuration, I have no experience with
> chan_sip since I
> started recently using Asterisk for several SoHo and lab's projects. So be
> alarmed, there
> may come some noobish questions.
>
> When planning and setting up the Asterisk, I had to deal with NAT. The
> Asterisk config
> object of type=transport knows about essential entries:
>
> local_net=                      192.168.254.1/24
> bind=                           192.168.254.1:5060
> external_media_address=         dyndns FQDN
> external_signaling_address=     dyndns FQDN
> direct_media=                   no
> rtp_symmetric=                  yes
> force_rport=                    yes
>
> dyndns FQDN is the FQDN of my broadband access point provided by some
> dynamical DNS
> provider.
>
> This setup is not working properly with when external_media_address= and
> external_signaling_address= are set that way, but commenting out both
> makes all of the
> ITSP which provides me with service happy.
>
> I think, at this point I have no idea of the concept or, there is simply a
> missing link,
> even a (dangerously) misconfigured router - on which the Asterisk runs.
> When
> external_xxxx_xxxx are not set, I suppose they're set to 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0,
> aren't they,
> implying that they listen on all configured IPs?
>
> If so, is there a way to show the setting of external_media_address= and
> external_signaling_address= on the CLI?
>
> When using PJSIP with the setting excluding attributes external_xxx_xxx,
> does pjsip do
> some magic to traverse the NAT in a proper way? At this very moment, I do
> not understand
> how things would work avoiding setting external_media_address= and
> external_signaling_address=. The Asterisk 13 I'm running is supposed to be
> bound to IP
> 192.168.254.1, which is routed to the gateway.
>
> My problem is, I don not understand why the communication is working
> fluently with both
> external_xxx_xxx atrributes commeneted out which I suppose to be crucial -
> following the
> Asterisk 13 documentation!
>
> Maybe someone can sched some light onto this. I think, my view on the
> matter is
> completely confused.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> oh
>
> Another point
>
> --
>
> Check out the new Asterisk community forum at: https://community.asterisk.
> [...]

a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts,
build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders,
cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure,
program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects.
---Heinlein