[asterisk-users] Surrogate channels

Richard Mudgett rmudgett at digium.com
Mon May 15 09:56:54 CDT 2017

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 1:21 AM, Patrick Wakano <pwakano at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Asterisk list!
>
> I've been facing some scenarios in my dialplan where I see the "h"
> extension being executed for Surrogate channels.
> For me, it is kind of a mystery what these Surrogate channels are... I
> couldn't find good information about them... the source code is where I
> could find the most detailed info:
>
> /*! \brief Channel technology used to extract a channel from a running application. The * channel created with this technology will be immediately hung up - most external
>  * applications won't ever want to see this.
>  */
>
> It mentions "*won't ever want to see this*", so I am unsure if they are
> only internal to Asterisk core and I should not be seeing these channels
> executing my dialplan, or if indeed I will see them in my dialplan, and
> then I have to handle them somehow (even if I don't want them)....
>
> Anyway, does anyone know a good explanation about these surrogate
> channels, and what is expected of them when it comes to dialplan execution?

The surrogate channels are replacement channels for masquerades to swap with
your target channel.  They are created to die after a masquerade has
substituted it
for the target channel.  If you are seeing them in dialplan then just let
them die
without doing anything else with them.  The target channel is off doing
whatever
caused the masquerade in the first place.

Richard