[asterisk-users] Questions regarding asterisk-opus package in Debian Stretch repo and Opus in general

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed Mar 29 10:28:29 CDT 2017

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 05:18:18PM +0200, Olivier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After reading [1] (in french), I would be very happy if I could get answers
> to:
>
> 1. Does this 13.7+20161113-3 package version has any relation with
> asterisk's version it complements ? Current asterisk version in repo is
> 13.14.0. Does this 13.7 complies with it ?

The opus codec was used as an external patch. It looked ugly and thus a
separate package was preffered.

Its version number is not directly related to Asterisk. It has
originally been split from the Debian packaging of Asterisk, and
starting from the same version number allowed easier upgrading. There is
no version number for the upstream code (the patch).

> 2. From package description, is this package enough or not to allow
> transcoding with G711 ?
> For instance, in the following situation:
> SIP Phone <---- Opus ----> Asterisk <---- G111 ---> ITSP

Technically Asterisk codecs translate to/from (typically) linear and
Asterisk combines codecs to do whatever transcoding needed. So the codec
does not transcode directly to G.711. But Asterisk can transcode between
opus and G.711.

> 3. Can you share here any personal field experience with this codec, for
> home worker use case ?
> Is there a better user experience with Opus than with G729 or G711 ?
>
> 4. Does it work on ARM boxes (Raspberry, ...) ?

Should work just the same.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com