[asterisk-users] OT: DMARC enabled domains on this list

Daniel Tryba daniel at tryba.nl
Tue Jun 6 09:19:15 CDT 2017

On Tue, Jun 06, 2017 at 08:23:33AM -0400, James B. Byrne wrote:
> > The reports are there to tell you something isn't right (like on this
> > mailing list). Disabling them is only hiding the problem, people might
> > be replying with the correct answer to a problem, but the OP might
> > never gets that message.
> >

> What DMARC reports is that somebody other than yourself is sending
> email claiming to be you.  And there is absolutely nothing that you
> can do about it.  So the question arises: What is the value in these
> reports?

To tell those others (in the case of legitimate mail via mailinglists)
they are doing something wrong and mail redirected by said mailinglists
isn't getting delivered (or like with gmail "marked as phishing and put
into quarantine").

Also with increased use of DMARC (which I don't personally care for but
the BIG mail operators are kind of forcing it) there will be more
bounces from DMARCed senders to subscribed users which may result in the
mailinglist software to incorrectly unsubcribe those recipients.