[asterisk-users] Advices when Asterisk segfaults and nothing useful in logs

Olivier oza.4h07 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 11:21:54 CST 2017

Hello,

I've got a 13.13.1 system using PJSIP stack on debian Jessie.
It runs from 50 to 100 simultaneous calls (so 100 to 200  PJSIP channels)
all day long.
>From time to time, roughly meaning once a month, it segfaults  with lines
(from dmesg -T output) like this:
asterisk[1160]: segfault at 7efffffe ip 00000000005881d6 sp
00007fec95c33910 error 4 in asterisk[400000+2a2000]

Debug level was unfortunately not set in asterisk.conf but verbose level
was set to 5.
Asterisk runs with:
/usr/sbin/asterisk -U asterisk -G asterisk -g

Asterisk is compiled with DONT_OPTIMIZE and BETTER_BACKTRACES options.

"core show settings" outputs:
* Directories
  -------------
  Configuration file:
  Configuration directory:     /etc/asterisk
  Module directory:            /usr/lib/asterisk/modules
  Spool directory:             /var/spool/asterisk
  Log directory:               /var/log/asterisk
  Run/Sockets directory:       /var/run/asterisk
  PID file:                    /var/run/asterisk/asterisk.pid
  VarLib directory:            /var/lib/asterisk
  Data directory:              /var/lib/asterisk
  ASTDB:                       /var/lib/asterisk/astdb
  IAX2 Keys directory:         /var/lib/asterisk/keys

1. Am I correct to expect a coredump file to be produced anytime asterisk
segfaults ?

2. Does Asterisk prints any WARNING or ERROR message whenever it detects,
at startup preferably, that it has not required permissions to write a
coredump file ?

3. Among above directories, which one is choosen to save coredump files ?
Is it something that can/should be configured in /etc/asterisk (I've seen
related options in some debian  /etc/default/asterisk files but I would be
curious to know if such things exist

4. Is there anything useful I can do with a line such as :
asterisk[1160]: segfault at 7efffffe ip 00000000005881d6 sp
00007fec95c33910 error 4 in asterisk[400000+2a2000] ? Any pointer ?

5. Suggestions ?

Best regards