[asterisk-users] What version of Linux?

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Mon Aug 28 15:29:13 CDT 2017

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 1:28 PM, Ira <ira at extrasensory.com> wrote:

> Hello Asterisk,
>
> I thought I'd try Fedora 26 as they have 32 bit and
> support. Got it installed, then downloaded Asterisk 14.6.0 but
> can't seem to get it built.

I run an asterisk server on Fedora 26. It's easy to install asterisk from
packages, so you don't have to go through the hassle of building it. Just
"dnf install asterisk".

The only problem is that Fedora does not package some of the hardware
drivers (e.g. dahdi) because they are not free software. I did have to
build the dahdi kernel module, but of course that depends on what hardware
you've got. If you are only using network (e.g. SIP or IAX), you should be
able to run completely from packages.

> Is the latest Fedora a good choice for an Asterisk box or should
> I try something else.

How critical is your need for that particular version of asterisk?  The
current packaged version for Fedora is 13.9.1

The usual warning about Fedora is that each version is only supported for
about 13 months. After that you have to upgrade or run without support
(dangerous, because that also means no security fixes).

The machine is an Intel Atom board with a
> Digium PCI analog board for my one last analog line.

That may or may not require compliation of the driver. I have a "Digium PCI
analog board" that uses the dahdi driver, and I did have to compile that
(see previous thread on this list regarding that).

> I believe the board is limited to a 32 bit OS.

Mine isn't. It is identified as a "Wildcard TDM410P", and it works fine on
my 64-bit OS.

> Is there a list of dependencies I need to install before
> Asterisk will compile?

Of course, if you install from packages with dnf, it will install all the
necessary dependencies.

My asterisk box is also a Samba server, again running from packages.

--Greg