[asterisk-users] SIP connections over OpenVPN connection get one-way voice.

Victor Villarreal mefhigoseth at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 20:13:13 CDT 2017

Hi Ernie,

When one-way audio appear (no matters if there is a VPN or NAT server on
the diagram) I simply :

* Enable SIP debug on Asterisk server. Excecute 'sip set debug ip x.x.x.x'
on Astrisk CLI, where x.x.x.x is the IP of the phone or SIP peer you want
to debug.

* Make a test call and replicate the issue.

* Stop debug with 'sip set debug off'.

* Follow the SIP conversation. Verify that the INVITE message has the
correct IP on the contact field and any other related fields.

* On SDP handshake, verify that the ports where the sound is send, is
correct.

Normally, one-way audio is faced when one audio stream (example the called
audio) is send to the correct IP and Port destination, on the other audio
stream (example the caller audio) don't.

Last, if Asterisk is 'behind' another server, you need tell Asterisk what
is the external IP so it can inform this IP to your clients.

If you dont want to follow the SIP conversation on plain text, you can make
a packet capture on the Asterisk server, instead of SIP debug.