[asterisk-users] asterisk as non root

Antony Stone Antony.Stone at asterisk.open.source.it
Wed Apr 19 08:52:30 CDT 2017

On Wednesday 19 April 2017 at 15:44:39, Atux Atux wrote:

> hello there. i am running debian 8 in my swerver and i would like to run
> asterisk as non root. i did follow the
> https://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+non-root without any success.

Did you do the very first step:

	/etc/init.d/asterisk stop	?

> when i issue
> root at PBX: ~ $ asterisk -U asterisk -G asterisk
> Privilege escalation protection disabled!
> See https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/x/1gKfAQ for more details.
> Unable to access the running directory (Permission denied).

Did you do all the "chown" and "chmod" commands listed in those guidelines?

> Changing to '/' for compatibility.
> Asterisk already running on /var/run/asterisk/asterisk.ctl. Use 'asterisk
> -r' to connect.

Er, you can't change to running as non-root without stopping the existing
(started by root) service first...

> root at PBX: ~ $
>
> any ideas on how to fix that please?

Show us the output of:

# find / -name asterisk -exec ls -ld '{}' \;

Antony.

--
All matter in the Universe can be placed into one of two categories:

1. Things which need to be fixed.
2. Things which need to be fixed once you've had a few minutes to play with
them.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.