[asterisk-users] Tips, tools and a question about debug level....

Jonathan H lardconcepts at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 10:04:20 CDT 2016

Lots of little bits in one email to save polluting the list too much today,
time for me to try and give a little back, too!

Someone posted about sngrep a couple of days ago. What a great tool!
Is there a list of useful stuff like this that isn't hopelessly out of date?

Talking about hopelessly out of date, my first top tip would be to grab the
Personal Blocklist extension by Google and block voip-info.org... suddenly,
it's 2016 with Asterisk 14 again and not 2004 with stuff about 1.4!

Second tip: I was looking for info on HASH, which has virtually no
documentation or examples even in the practical asterisk book,  and I came
across a list post from a few years back that was incredibly patronising,
along the lines of "well, if you don't know what a hash is already, clearly
you're an idiot". As this was the answer to the question "how do I use the
hash function", I wondered who the idiot might be!

So, I decided to make a few experiments and working examples for myself -
please feel free to fork, edit, contribute or criticise and needed.
It's NOT supposed to be a mini-wiki, just a single page aide-memoire for me
to jog memories when needed.
https://github.com/lardconcepts/asterisk-pbx-tips-and-snips/blob/master/hash-push-pop-cut-sort-loop-and-shift.txt

***AND NOW MY QUESTIONS****

Is it possible to print newlines in verbose, like using \n? Tried it,
doesn't work.

Is there a better way to test a context than "dial", with its associated
"unable to re-open DSP device /dev/dsp: No such file or directory"?

Is it possible to just ignore message from one module, in this case, the
mp3 player throws nonsense warnings, even at no verbosity or debug level:
Oct 16 07:50:00] WARNING[28544][C-00000008]: mp3/interface.c:218 decodeMP3:
Junk at the beginning of frame 49443303
I don't want or need to see that message - it just means my mp3 has an id3
tag!

Finally: Does this look right? Asterisk 14.0.1

$ asterisk -rvvvvvvvvdddddddd
Core debug was 3 and is now 8.

$ asterisk -rvd
Core debug is still 8.