[asterisk-users] Any reason Asterisk won't start without a rebuild on a cloned VPS?

Guido Falsi mad at madpilot.net
Tue Nov 29 05:51:18 CST 2016

On 11/29/16 12:19, Joshua Colp wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2016, at 07:15 AM, Barry Flanagan wrote:
>> On 29 November 2016 at 10:56, Jonathan H <lardconcepts at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Any ideas why a VPS, cloned from another instance (DigitalOcean
>>> "droplets" if it matters), won't run on the new instance?
>>>
>>> Everything else is the same; region, memory, disk, hypervisor version etc.
>>>

>> You probably need to select  "DONT_OPTIMIZE"  in make menuselect under
>> "Compiler Flags". This is generally required for VPS or any situation
>> where
>> the binary might be used on a slightly different CPU.
>
> Close! The compiler flag to disable is BUILD_NATIVE. It instructs GCC to
> build optimized for the CPU, if the binary is moved to a CPU that
> differs - it may or may not work depending on how close they are.

BTW, I had to disable it by defualt in the FreeBSD port, otherwise the
official binary packages would be broken on CPUs different from the ones
used by the FreeBSD project build cluster.

I think all linux distributions are/should do the same for default
package builds.

--
Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>