[asterisk-users] What's the smallest, lightest Asterisk you can build? Does size even matter?

Matt Fredrickson creslin at digium.com
Wed Nov 2 09:49:27 CDT 2016

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 6:00 PM, Jonathan H <lardconcepts at gmail.com> wrote:
> All I need is PJSIP, ulaw, alaw, wav, astdb and all the dialplan functions.
>
> I don't need any other DB layer, I have no hardware, and I was wondering
> what the smallest build possible was.
>
> I experimented, but everything relied on other things. And then I
> wondered... is there actually any point? Is there anything to be gained?
>
> Will it matter more when there are lots of concurrent calls, or should I
> just not worry, leave all the options in makemenu, make it easy on myself
> and build the full thing each time?

For most modules there isn't a big point to disabling them as there
isn't an lot of ongoing CPU activity for a module not being used.
That being said, there are some things you can disable that can
improve your performance, but they're going to be application
dependent.  I believe that disabling CDRs, for example, can make a big
difference on heavily loaded systems and some people don't use them.
CDRs take some amount of work at the end to stitch together the notion
of a call from the various call related events that occur.  HEP also
is a big offender.  CELs and AMI can also make some difference when
disabled, but nothing on the order of CDRs and HEP.

Hope that helps!

--
Matthew Fredrickson
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager