[asterisk-users] RS485 Audio device

Telium Technical Support support at telium.ca
Wed Nov 2 09:48:19 CDT 2016

This one caught my interest too...more out of curiosity!  Keep in mind that
RS485 max speed drops to 100kbps after a relatively short distance.  And,
100kbps is RAW speed.  If you encapsulated your audio stream in that you'd
lose another 10%.

So why are you doing this?  If you are running a 100m cable (4 wire +
shield) why not just pull at cat5/6 cable instead?  Or just send analog
audio over 2 of the wires with the shield to keep out hum.   If there is a
need to use rs485 you could stream your audio over that connection - but I'm
curious why first.

We did some work for broadcast (radio station) doing AoIP and converting
some analog feeds but this seems unusual.

Jason