[asterisk-users] Need stronger SRTP ciphers (256 bit)

Kevin Long kevin.long at haloprivacy.com
Tue May 31 00:53:43 CDT 2016

Some more information (would love some thoughts on this, I have never submitted a patch yet).

Groundwire (Popular SIP app) supports the following cipher suites for SRTP:

AES_CM_128_HMAC_SHA1_32
AES_CM_128_HMAC_SHA1_80
AES_CM_192_HMAC_SHA1_32
AES_CM_192_HMAC_SHA1_80
AES_CM_256_HMAC_SHA1_32
AES_CM_256_HMAC_SHA1_80
AEAD_AES_128_GCM
AEAD_AES_256_GCM

I see in the asterisk 13.9.1 source tarsal,  in res/res_srtp.c :

Could adding support for the above cipher suites be as simple as adding more options to this switch/case statement with the appropriate parameters or is there more to it?

Thank you!

static int policy_set_suite(crypto_policy_t *p, enum ast_srtp_suite suite)
{
        switch (suite) {
        case AST_AES_CM_128_HMAC_SHA1_80:
                p->cipher_type = AES_128_ICM;
                p->cipher_key_len = 30;
                p->auth_type = HMAC_SHA1;
                p->auth_key_len = 20;
                p->auth_tag_len = 10;
                p->sec_serv = sec_serv_conf_and_auth;
                return 0;

        case AST_AES_CM_128_HMAC_SHA1_32:
                p->cipher_type = AES_128_ICM;
                p->cipher_key_len = 30;
                p->auth_type = HMAC_SHA1;
                p->auth_key_len = 20;
                p->auth_tag_len = 4;
                p->sec_serv = sec_serv_conf_and_auth;
                return 0;

        default:
                ast_log(LOG_ERROR, "Invalid crypto suite: %u\n", suite);