[asterisk-users] OPUS support in Asterisk 13

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu Mar 24 09:50:51 CDT 2016

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 09:36:40AM -0500, Matt Fredrickson wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 9:09 AM, Chirag Desai <djchillerz at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Sorry if this has been asked before. I searched a lot, but found conflicting
> > answers, so hoping for some clarification.
> >
> > My question is does Asterisk 13 support OPUS? If so which version exactly?
>
> Sort of - it supports OPUS pass through officially, but does not
> support OPUS transcoding.  I'm not certain when pass through support
> went in though, but I believe it was prior to cutting of the 13
> branch.
>
> There are some unofficial patches that add OPUS support to Asterisk
> but I cannot point you to which ones are best to use, unfortunately.

I still find it odd that OPUS is not considered safe enough for Asterisk
even though it has been used in various programs such as Firefox and
Chromium/Chrome. Not very handy if anybody wants to use Asterisk for
WebRTC.

Anyway, the up-to-date one I have is:
http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-voip/asterisk.git/tree/debian/patches/opus.patch?h=debian/1%2513.7.2_dfsg-2
based on https://github.com/seanbright/asterisk-opus , which has rotted
a bit (but took only a minor bit of tweaking).

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com