[asterisk-users] How to recognize a name spelled letter by letter ?

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Wed Mar 23 10:24:19 CDT 2016

On Wednesday 23 Mar 2016, Olivier wrote:
> I'm thinking about something to delegate provisionning to end users:
> a new employee joins the company, the system I'm after let him enter his
> own name himself, once for all.

This is generally good, because it means less work for you  :)  Just be
careful not to automate away so much of your job that you end up writing out
your own P45 .....

> Typing letters through numerical dialpad is not very convenient.
> Using Speech Recognition could be interesting if applicable.

Not so long ago, we all used to use the number pad for writing out text
messages -- up to 160 characters at a time .....

But remember there is almost certain to be a computer next to the phone
anyway; so you could use a CGI script which injects entries into a database,
and a cron job  (running as root on the Asterisk server)  to check the
database every few minutes and do the necessary.

--
AJS

Note:  Originating address only accepts e-mail from list!  If replying off-
list, change address to asterisk1list at earthshod dot co dot uk .