[asterisk-users] Asterisk now available with bundled pjproject!

George Joseph george.joseph at fairview5.com
Sun Mar 13 22:48:21 CDT 2016

On Sun, Mar 13, 2016 at 1:30 AM, Recursive <lists at binarus.de> wrote:

> On 07.03.2016 20:28, George Joseph wrote:
> > The current Asterisk 13 and master git branches have a new feature that
> will be included in 13.8.0:  The ability to compile and run Asterisk with a
> bundled version of pjproject.
> > [...]
> > PLEASE TRY THIS!!  I'd love some feedback BEFORE 13.8.0 is released.
> >

> This is one of the best ideas you could have. Especially with Debian as
> the underlying distribution, the default libraries are quite old in many
> cases. I had to download and compile recent versions of pjsip, spandsp and
> a bunch of other libraries before being able to compile and use recent
> Asterisk versions.
>
> The other arguments you have named (safety and so on) are equally
> important.
>
> Since I have begun using Asterisk, I even have wished you could bundle
> *all* external libraries and components that way (just dreaming - I think
> there are several dozens or even hundreds of them).

​Thanks for the feedback!​

Yep, there are a number of them and it wouldn't be practical to include
them all.   The reason pjproject made sense to bundle was that it's a
highly complex and very specific library that we depend on.  In fact,
Asterisk references almost 500 different pjproject functions or data
structures. :)