[asterisk-users] Rasterisk freeze on 4G link

Duncan duncan at e-simple.co.nz
Thu Mar 3 14:01:34 CST 2016

 > With this new link, whenever I launch a vim, a nano or a rasterisk
session, my terminal freezes (rasterisk) or remains empty (nano, vim).

>     >
>     > When a session is frozon, I can open a new one at the same so it
>     excludes a basic connectivity loss.
>     >
>     Usually incorrect MTU gives you this effect. Use ping with MTU
>     size set to test and find what works.
>
> I think its value: it's 1272, which amazes me.
>

>     You will probably also break it with any large text dump eg cat
>     /var/log/syslog will also do it
>

> Yes  "cat /var/log/syslog" also broke my console.
>
> Why would my console break because of inadequate MTU and other PC on
> the same location, seem unaffected ?
> Because, they most probably mostly use SMTP and HTTP ?
>
> Is possible to simulate a given MTU on a LAN to reproduce such freezes ?
> (the remote location is at the other side of the country and I would
> like to prepare things as much as possible).

I think you need to go through a router or some device that can
constrain the MTU. But live changing your server MTU should be straight
forward as openvpn should try and reconnect, and you can change the
server back. I haven't lost connectivity before with this

Also the session is probably timed out rather than gone, in 10-15 mins
maybe less it will come back (or does for me)

Cheers Duncan