[asterisk-users] Rasterisk freeze on 4G link

Olivier oza.4h07 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 12:15:47 CST 2016

> > On 4/03/2016, at 5:31 AM, Olivier <oza.4h07 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm remotely managing an asterisk setup using an OpenVPN client on this
> Asterisk box, connecting to an OpenVPN server of mine).
> >
> > This box is mainly connected to PSTN.
> > It is also connected to the Internet, only for remote management.
> >
> > The former ADSL link has recently been replaced by a new 4G link (UMTS).
> >
> > I'm connecting to this box from a Debian Jessie/Gnome Terminal combo.
> >
> > With this new link, whenever I launch a vim, a nano or a rasterisk
> session, my terminal freezes (rasterisk) or remains empty (nano, vim).
> >
> > When a session is frozon, I can open a new one at the same so it
> excludes a basic connectivity loss.
> >
> Usually incorrect MTU gives you this effect. Use ping with MTU size set to
> test and find what works.

I think its value: it's 1272, which amazes me.

> You will probably also break it with any large text dump eg cat
> /var/log/syslog will also do it

Yes  "cat /var/log/syslog" also broke my console.

Why would my console break because of inadequate MTU and other PC on the
same location, seem unaffected ?
Because, they most probably mostly use SMTP and HTTP ?

Is possible to simulate a given MTU on a LAN to reproduce such freezes ?
(the remote location is at the other side of the country and I would like
to prepare things as much as possible).