[asterisk-users] Is it possible to set a timeout when querying a calendar ?

Ludovic Gasc gmludo at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 16:13:53 CDT 2016

> Hello,
>
> Asterisk offers several ways to query an external calendar.
> I'm wondering what could happen if an external calendar was down or very
> slow to respond.
>
> Looking at wiki.asterisk.org, I didn't find any timeout parameter in
> calendar functions, nor in calendar.conf (but I'm not too sure for the
> later case) ?
>
> What would you suggest to protect your dialplan from a mis-behaving
> external calendar ?

Maybe somebody else has a better pattern, but for now, I've implemented a
middleware to fetch ics calendar and store that in folders served by a
Nginx.
Asterisk retrieves ical directly on localhost.

Two advantages:
1. Asterisk don't waste CPU time to retrieve data.
2. If the calendar source is down, it's invisible from Asterisk.

However, the main issue is that I didn't find a way to force Asterisk to
purge its cache and reload a specific calendar.
I play with timeouts to avoid to be too much in delay with the latest
version available of ical.

Have a nice day.