[asterisk-users] PJSIP defaults for endpoints when using realtime

George Joseph gjoseph at digium.com
Thu Jul 14 08:40:15 CDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 6:45 AM, A J Stiles <asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk>
wrote:

> On Thursday 14 Jul 2016, Joshua Colp wrote:
> > Carlos Chavez wrote:
> > > Until Asterisk 11 I could use sip.conf to set defaults for all phones
> > > (language, dtmf, vmexten, etc) and just leave many fields in the
> > > database as NULL. What would be the proper way to do this for Asterisk
> > > 13 and PJSIP?
> >
> > Kia ora,
> >
> > PJSIP doesn't have the ability in it to override built-in defaults for
> > everything. You have to specify it yourself for realtime. If using
> > config files then config file templates can be used to do this.
>
> If the database you are using is MariaDB or MySQL, then you should be able
> set default values for columns in the table definition.  Then when you do
> an
> INSERT into only some columns, the rest will be populated with the default
> values.
>
> To alter the structure of an already-created table, use something like
>
> ALTER TABLE stuff CHANGE COLUMN foo foo VARCHAR(20) NOT NULL DEFAULT
> "wibble";
>
> (Yes, the column name should be there twice: you might want to rename it,
> so
> you have to specify an old and a new name even if the two are the same.)
>
> You will then need to use something like
>
> UPDATE stuff SET foo="wibble" WHERE foo IS NULL;

While this will work, your defaults may not survive the next time alembic
is run to upgrade the database.  It's rare but we do occasionally drop and
re-create columns to change their types.

You could also play with insert triggers which are attached to the table
instead of specific columns.  These might be easier to manage.

> --
> AJS
>
> Note:  Originating address only accepts e-mail from list!  If replying off-
> list, change address to asterisk1list at earthshod dot co dot uk .
>
> --

George Joseph
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer