[asterisk-users] Recommendations for free virtual server tech and Asterisk?

Ikka Tirtawidjaja ikka.tirta at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 08:13:29 CDT 2016

https://sysadminman.net/blog/2011/asterisk-virtualization-openvz-or-vmware-3004

OpenVZ provides operating system-level virtualization where the underlying
hardware runs a kernel that is shared by all of the virtual machines.

Where OpenVZ gets a bad name is that it’s very easy to provision many more
VPSs on a physical server than that server can really handle. This means
lots of virtual machines all trying to use the CPU, ram, network etc on the
underlying server, resulting in bottlenecks. This might not be a problem on
a webserver. If a web server takes half a second longer to display a web
page because the server is overloaded then maybe nobody will notice.
However, if your VOIP packets are delayed for half a second then you will
definitely notice!

Probably the most crucial fact about running Asterisk on a VPS though is
who you are sharing the underlying hardware with, and how well the server
is managed. Even if there are only a few other virtual servers on that
server and they are allowed to abuse the resources available then you will
likely get a bad VOIP experience. This can definitely be the case where
Asterisk is installed on a general purpose VPS.